Plays should be intended for young audiences — kindergarten through high school (no play is expected to appeal to all ages simultaneously). The 2013 Write Now competition encourages submissions for all age groups. Playwrights must suggest the appropriate age category on the official entry form.
- Scripts must not be committed to publication at the time of submission. Commissioned works that are not in development are eligible.
- Scripts previously produced in an educational or vocational setting are eligible, if playwrights are eager to pursue development of the script.
- Scripts previously produced professionally are NOT eligible. (i.e., productions in which the director and actors have been paid).
- Scripts previously submitted to the Waldo M. & Grace C. Bonderman Playwriting for Youth Competition are ineligible unless substantial rewrites have occurred. If you are interested in re-submitting a script, please contact us at email@example.com PRIOR to submitting your script.
- If the play is an adaptation or dramatization, written proof must be provided that the original work is in public domain or permission of the holder of the copyright has been granted.
- Musicals will not be accepted for the 2013 contest.
- Playwrights must be residing in North America at the time of submission.
- Only ONE submission per playwright is accepted.
- Playwrights must be 18 years of age or older at the time of submission.
- Any future production or publication of a finalist play must give the following credit:
_____________ was a winner at the 2013 Write Now and was featured in a rehearsed reading at Childsplay.